Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Forgotten Words

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday -- "FENDER SKIRTS." A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.

You kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake. I still use the term and have gotten some funny looks as a result.

"I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

What happened to these words, and may more importantly, what kind of memories are associated with these words for some?

Is our language losing it poetry?

Afterall, now we have 'hard drives' and SUV's and the Internet and 'pop' music.
Concrete, abbreviated, Gorian, and boring.

I miss my Sunbeam Alpine at times like this..... makes me think of 'twin Strombergs' and tonneau covers....




Comments:
Hey old man Schmidt, can I have my frisbee back?
 
Frisbee???
What in the world is a Frisbee???
Danny, your just messing with me, you young wipper-snapper you....
 
Oh my, Yes. Fender skirts.

I had them on my "57 Plymouth. What a machine, Four door hardtop , that is, no post between the front and rear side windows, fire engine red with a cream top and cream strip along both sides from the dual headlights to the tail fins. Dual radio antennas on the rear deck and moon disk hub caps. Interior bench seats wide enough to lie across.

Yes, dual exhausts with glass pack mufflers, a huge 318 cubic inch engine, (5.2 liter), no breathing restrictions. This 18 foot beauty weighted about 3600 lbs, and could go from 0 to 60 in about 8.5 sec.

Of course it was a total death trap, padding??, seat belts?? The car was designed to last about 3-4 years.

What a time, cruising to Wildwood, some what above the speed limit with red streamers on the dual antennas and the AM radio blasting Rock and Roll through dual speakers. Ah yes, the memories of not so long ago. I recall the carefree summer days of colorful fast cars and Wildwood days, of noncommittal woman, (girls) and much, much beer.

More to come!
Dad/ Jack/ KRAKEN
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Locations of visitors to this page